From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:25:46 -0600
Hi all -

>> Research exists, but it appears that the research done to date
>> has not supported the claims made for "small cell".

That's because there is actually none out there. What has been done is
fairly lame and very narrow in scope. We just got yet another attempt at
cell size research from NZ:

VARROA DESTRUCTOR NOT THWARTED BY SMALLER SIZED
CELLS, STUDY FINDS

.... and if you were to read how they went about conducting the test, well,
I'd be embarrassed to have my name on it. Bad science in my opinion. We've
yet to see any study that deals with the whole issue. Most are just one
little speck from the whole.

>> There is no support for this claim.  In fact, bees allowed to
>> build comb on "strips" or on non-embossed wax sheets have shown
>> no general tendency to build smaller cell sizes, and even feral
>> hives have not been shown to have smaller cell sizes.  The only
>> bees shown to build smaller cells are different, smaller bees,
>> such as AHB, and bees that are "forced" into smaller cell sizes.

Jim, I have seen just the opposite in the real world. I did a cut-out this
year from a roof eave that had a first year swarm in it. The core brood
cells measured 4.9mm and got bigger in size the further away they were from
the core. Not AHB and no forcing. They built it all from nothing.

>> The bad news is that there have been no "small cell" beekeepers
>> sending samples to Beltsville for tests, something that might help
>> to support the claims being tossed about.

Why would these beekeepers need to do this? If the labs are at all
interested in seeing what is going on, there are a lot of people with bees
on small cell they could get bees from. They do have phones don't they?

>> One simply never hears from most proponents of alternative
>> treatments and approaches after their initial and highly speculative
>> statements.
>>

> I wonder why? Look how your treating me. A real example I am and so are you.

Jim gives us a very clear example as to why HE never hears from those with
alternative views. They can expect to get a rambling saga in return, much
based on his own bias without any first-hand experience. There are other
places where people actually discuss and share insightful observations and
ask pondering questions from those actually doing the work that is being
discussed.

>> I remain certain that even minor successes will be
>> trumpeted from the rooftops, but the silence has been deafening.
>>
> It is not silent you are just in a chemical cloud. d:~)> Things get a little
> fuzzy in there. Every now and then you have a person from Wyoming tell of
> his small cell beekeeping even on this list, for sure on others.

Yes, there is anything but silence on other forums. You just happen to not
be a part of them. I think you know how to find them if you want to. You are
now officially invited.

Regards,
Barry