Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:04:34 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Bees were bringing in fresh pollen last brief warm spell. Henbit and wild mustard.
Bob

Hey Bob and all others,
     The bees here have been bringing that very same pollen for the last two weeks, at least.  Look in the frames and those adjacent to the brood frames are packed with pollen.  Seems like we are about two to three weeks ahead of normal this year.  Last year it was the opposite.  Everything was two to four weeks late.
      Anyway, brings up a question.  Just got a brand spankin' new Sundance pollen trap.  Haven't even painted it yet.  The instructions say that when installed the bees will be confused for about a week or two in getting in and out.  This is my brood build up time.  I don't want to impede that at all.  So.....   When would it be a good time to install the trap and how often should the trap be operated and for how long a time.  The accompanying literature has its instructions but I would like to get info from those of you with experience with its use.  My plans are to use a combination of real pollen and pollen substitute next year to build up my bees early for our early honey flow.  I know, I know.  Look in the BEE-L archives.  I just thought of that and will do so after I post this but I still want to hear from you guys and gals.

Mike in LA

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2