From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:44:38 +0000
I checked a hive for a new beekeeper today and found a perplexing problem that I hope you can help explain.

He has two deep brood chambers and 3 western supers above a queen excluder.

The two brood chambers had drones laid in the comb with several queen cells on the central frame bottom bar. There was uniform brood pattern throughout the two brood chambers with eggs, larvae of various ages and capped drone brood.  Eggs were singleton and in the bottom center of cell.

Above the plastic queen excluder, and in the 3rd (top) super the same brood pattern was found, except it contained less brood. This   was above two supers with honey.

I am at a loss. I think there is a failed queen in the bottom brood chambers but what is happening in the top super. And more importantly, what now?

Jim Smith

Tulelake, CA