From:
Monarch Watch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:50:11 -0600
Taylor
 Can't say I've found seeds in pollen
>traps (N=50) I've run in the spring myself. Has anyone else?

Sandler
 I think it is unlikely that you have pollen traps in place
before pollen is available (correct me if I am wrong) and this might explain
the absence of seeds.

Taylor
Actuallly, for several years we placed traps on colonies very early
(early-mid Feb) to determine when pollen first became available and to
assess the importance of early pollen on spring built-up. The variance in
pollen availability among years from mid Feb to late March was
extraordinary. When the elms were blooming and the weather was ideal,
strong colonies collected up to 1.4 lbs of harvestable pollen per day. In
less favorable years, many colonies collected less than this for the entire
5 weeks. But we never saw seeds.

Monarch Watch
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]
DPLEX-L:  send message "info DPLEX-L" to [log in to unmask]
PHONE:  (913) 864 4051
FAX:  (913) 864 5321
SNAIL:  c/o O.R. Taylor, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of KS, Lawrence KS 66045