Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:12:20 -0500
>I experimented a bit this winter with similar home made, 90% sucrose, 10%
>high protein sub, ha

I looked at this idea a long time ago and even worked on developing such a product.
I think we discussed it here.

I decided, however, that there is a problem with forcing bees to consume protein and
various associated indigestible constituents of the feed when the actually only need
to exploit the sugar stores which are closely incorporated with them.

IMO, the two should be offered separately since bees normally are able to pick and
choose between the two basic nutrients which are used for very different purposes,
in varying ratios at differing times of year, and by different bees in the hive.

Using these boards may not be a problem for flying bees and bees with access to other
stored carbs, but I can imagine problems with confined bees or bees which have no
alternative but consume the candy in order to stay alive if they have run out of stored
honey.  Such hives may not need the protein content and may be harmed by the
solid content or by being stimulated too early.

In my experience, bees show no interest in protein patties during winter even though
they will readily consume those same patties during brood rearing season and continue
to do so even when pollen is coming in.

My solution was to impress a pollen patty into a candy board so that there is a clear
delineation between the two.  Beekeepers making candy boards could simply place a
patty or two in the middle, then  pour in the sugar slurry.

These sorts of feed solutions may be appropriate for spring feeding, I would think, but
I still think that the bees need to have a choice and not be forced to consume these
nutrients at a fixed and arbitrary ratio.

Be careful.