From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:24:56 -0500
On 14 Mar 97 at 9:31, Judy Spradley wrote: BEES:old comb vs. tracheal
mites

  In other words, would
> replacing all comb each year cut down on disease and mites, although also
> cutting down production?(bees having to spend time drawing out new comb)
> In my area at least, this might be a feasible alternative to losing hives.
> Our climate is not hot enough to effectively use menthol. (I did treat both
> hives last year with spearmint laced grease patties.)

Part of this post was answered by Vince, but he made little comment of
comb replacement!
        We try a 1/3rd replacement each year. Apart from disease it also makes
for bigger bees, in new comb!  As to cutting down on production, there is
an increase due to bigger and stronger bees. I know this will probably
bring some uproar, but it is a proven fact.
        In Denmark, the Buckfast breeder changes every comb, every year. That is
perhaps a little drastic, but exchanging old stuff on a regular basis does
cut down on the nasty's.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks