Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:21:59 -0500
I will give a presentation on overwintering to a local bee club so have
been into the literature, especially feeding, and the old stalwart The Hive
and the Honey Bee says that 3 deeps is best for cold winters. So the
Minnesota and Maine connection is consistent with that.

It is interesting that Ontario's average winter high is about the same as
my area in Maine but the lows are 8F higher there than here which makes a
considerable difference. So I can see how you could overwinter there with a
deep and a little help but would be dead in the water here in Maine where,
even with two deeps it can be touch and go.

I have always used two deeps and three on a couple of winters but 3
requires too much heavy lifting. I never rotate the boxes in spring since I
have never noted that the bees upend their bee trees in nature so why
should I upend their rentals.

My honey harvest ranges from 40 to 125lbs and my norm is about 75lbs per
hive which is about 50lbs more than most in the area. Owe that to George
Imire.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine