From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 07:29:21 -0600
On Thu, 11 May 1995, Kevin Roddy wrote:

> Thanks to all for the suggestions for pheromone removal from gloves!
>
> I have two other questions that I have tried to find answers for but have
> not.
>
> I have heard that some colonies in which the queen has somehow been
> killed have developed laying workers who try to fill in for the dead
> queen but cannot of course lay fertilized eggs.  I've searched the
> literature to find out exactly how this problem is initially recognized
> without intruding, and how is the problem rectified.  Books I have
> consulted have said that any introduced queen into such a colony will
> most probably be killed.  Must the entire colony be destroyed?
>
> Question one's answer will probably answer question two.  If some workers
> do acquire laying capabilities and produce a large drone colony, how to
> fix without destroying the colony?  Thanks for any solutions you may have...

I wish I had a better solution but...
If you can find the laying worker - great.  The trouble is, I cannot find
her.  My treatment is to carry the hive a few yards away and shake ALL of
the bees into the grass.  I then destroy most of the drone brood and
return the hive to the old stand with a frame of brood containing eggs.
The theory here is that the worker (or old queen) laying the eggs will
not be able to fly (or fly as well) and will not make it back to the hive.

If it works, terrific.  If not, at least there has not been a big
investment of time or materials.

Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada
(403) 998 3143