From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 20:11:57 -0500
> Doesn't your state have someone to investigate?

We do not have a state bee inspector but the state has a state entomologist.
We waited days twice before. Then days turned into weeks.

Finally Dennis at the local office said they could not get an entomologist
to come out. The boxes were worked.

My hives are boiling this year and have got supers on with nectar coming in.
Those hives were some of the best before the corn planter came by.

I am still in shock and was really shocked ( as was my help) when we came to
add supers today.

I think there were 27 hives in the yard and all effected. Not really many
hives in the total picture ( which my help kept pointing out) but still a
shame.

We will move the hives effected on to a yard close to blooming sweet clover
, combine and requeen ones needed and see what happens. Not really a big
deal but I told the list I would report back on the hives on corn.

The seed salesman feels bad about what happened and his wife expresses
concern about the hives not being around. I believe I have  had bees on
their farm close to 20 years but have had problems over the last decade. We
were not going to place bees near corn with no exceptions but decided to see
what would happen with the salesman looking on..

I had another test next to neonic treated soybeans with in 10 feet of the
planter and those hives look great. We added supers today.

I told the farmers wife I did not expect payment for the hives ( big hassle)
but the hives will be gone for good next Thursday.

These hives did not display CCD symptoms, no varroa or nosema problems. So
strong we made 3-4 frame splits to keep from swarming first of April.

bob