Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:28:20 -0500
>conversations about ticks (in the groin area?) doesn't fit the description
>published about the discussion that is meant to take place on this list.

I'm sure you are not the only person who wondered this, BUT,  I'm betting
most of us serious beekeepers know at least one person who has contacted
Lyme and not realised it or someone with severe symptoms.

Lyme is a real beekeeping hazard for those of us who keep bees other
than  in our well-mowed backyard.  I'm thinking that it is a far greater risk
than dying from a bee sting or even having a bad reaction.

Come to think of it, my son _did_ contact Lyme from a tick bite in his backyard
in Rhode Island and it was mowed, so there you go.  He was only a few miles
from Lyme, Connecticut, FWIW, but the risk is  throughout  many  states  and
provinces  and it seems many people are  unaware  or quite cavalier about the
 risk.

> What's next?  Poison oak?   Poison Ivy?

Good point.  Is everyone aware of all the risks to beekeepers out there?  How
about rattelesnakes, especially the ones that don't rattle, and scorpions
under hives.

And then there are bears...

This is all part of beekeeping.