Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:59:15 GMT
>>Is ... cannibalism of parasitized brood exactly the same
way as diploid brood?

Does anyone know if Hyg and/or SMR behavior [always] involves damage to the mites in the cells?

I was very excited by Dennis Murrell's observation of damaged mites on the bottom of his TBHs in the fall.  I think we should strive to bring out this behavior in bees.  Whether it's throught the natural nest structure or bee genetics or some other factor.

Has anyone observed damaged mites with hygienic bees or are hygienic bees simply removing [a number of] immature mites along with the mite-injured pupae?  I understand grooming by bees increases mite fall - is it accompanied by damage to mites?

Waldemar