From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 08:27:12 -0400
> Date:    Sun, 6 Aug 1995 14:51:55 -0700
> From:    Ann Dougherty <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Fume boards
>
>         I'm considering using a fume board.  I'd like some advice how to
> use one.  Is the outside temp. that important?  I'm also somewhat
> concerned about adding another chemical to the "natural product".

Ann,
I've used fume boards for several years using "Bee-Go" as the chemical.
Yes, temperature and direct sun are important to volatilize the chemical
to create the fumes. Some of my hives are in afternoon shade and
therefore I try to remove the supers in the morning when the sun hits the
top of the hives. I use 2 boards alternately: after putting on the first
one I select a second hive, smoke it gently and remove the cover,
determine if it is fully capped and then add the second board. By this
time, the first hive has had sufficient time to drive the bees down.
(understand that the procedure used between the hives was done on the
first as well). In this manner the time needed for the chemical to work
is used efficiently rather than standing around waiting. Sunny days, to
me, are a must or you will have lots of bees still in the supers. After
taking off the supers I place a piece of plywood over the supers to
prevent bees from getting back in.
   This year, I added a small dryer to my extracting room. It has 2 100W
light bulbs in a modified medium depth super and a flat muffin fan (from a
computer store) to blow warm air thru the supers stacked above it. This
also hastens removal of any residual fumes from the Bee-Go.

Jerry Worrell: [log in to unmask]
Dunkirk MD