From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:25:55 -0500
Ted Fischer said:

> One problem that I have not seen discussed is due to the excess bee space
> when a brood chamber of Pierco is placed beneath a chamber of wood frames.
> When trying to separate the two brood chambers burr comb holds the Pierco
> frames, making them lift up off their frame supports.

If the Pierco top-bar thickness is less than the thickness of a wooden frame
top bar, why not add a shim to the frame rest?  One could cover the shims
with the metal angle "frame rests" sold for brood chambers to make a smooth
surface.  Of course, this means that one has dedicated a hive body to Piercos,
and created a non-standardization.

> I have to insert the hive tool and pry down the Pierco frames, while holding up
> the brood chamber with the other hand.

I keep a violin string with a wooden handle at each end for this sort of situation.
One simply "saws" the wire slowly from front to back of the hive, which nicely
cuts any burr comb, and cleans propolis from hive body mating surfaces to
boot.  (Those who advocate non-violins can use piano wire.)

        jim

        farmageddon