From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:11:37 -0400
Date sent:              Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:55:29 EDT
Send reply to:          Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From:                   "(Thomas) (Cornick)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Laying Workers
To:                     [log in to unmask]

>    Just examined a hive of laying workers
> My first observation was that there were wax moth larvae small white wormlike
> things in the cells.
> On a closer look this turned out to be 2-3 eggs end to end on the cell walls.
> This is a hive which no matter what I did would not allow itself to be
> requeened nor would it raise it's own .

Further to this I would like to add the following.
        I have just cleaned up a laying worker in the above manner, but with a
major second problem. I added the laying worker brood box and frames to a 10
frame single box, with a good laying queen. A week later I opened them up to
have a look. No open brood, eggs or queen.
        It is possible I squished her, but unlikely. Is it possible the pheromones
etc. from the laying worker frames were enough to turn the workers off the
resident queen enough to remove her?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, ON, Canada.L3V 6H1
Phone- 705-326 7171.  Fax 705 325 3461.
North American agents. E.H.Thorne(UK)Ltd.
Ventilated Hives and Equipment
David Eyre... Owner
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks