From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2008 10:32:43 -0700
Hi All,

Here is a suggestion to any traveling with a mortar and pestle to perform
nosema testing:

Last night, I was returning from giving a presentation to the Puget Sound
(Washington state) beekeepers.
At airport security, my bag was pulled from the x-ray machine, and I was
requested to open it for inspection.

I casually offered, "Oh, yeah, I bet you saw the mortar."
In the silence that followed, the fellow in line before me turned and said,
"You packed a mortar!  Dude, you've got some balls!"

I suggest that at airport security, beekeepers packing a mortar use a
descriptive phrase such as, "mortar and pestle, grinder, or spice grinder"
instead of "mortar," which has other connotations to security agents.

Randy Oliver
Federal Inmate no. 39578-992861