Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:19:35 EDT
According to Thomas W. Hoyt:

> I've tried putting bees and comb into frames - - and it didn't work very
> well.  The comb simply never got 'attached' to the frames.  The only
> difference was my bees had moved into a seldom used shed and built from the
> rafters.  We had combs that exteded downward for THREE FEET!!
>
> I would suggest, after you have the hive isolated that you stand that section
> on the ground.  Place a piece of plywood with a large hole in the center on
> top of that section - and a regular hive body on top of the log/plywood.  The
> bees will 'move up' into the hive body, eventually vacating the log.  At this
> point the log can be disposed of.  Keep building on top of the body.
>
> My $.02 worth.

I am currently using just this procedure on a section of log I
got about a month and a half ago.  It was a short enough
section that I was able to load it and bring it home.  There is
now a lovely pattern of capped brood in the hive body and I'm
waiting a little longer for any brood still in the log to
emerge and move up.  Seems to be working.

Regards,

Fred