From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 08:26:18 -0400
>Allen described flexible inner cover approach<

That's interesting.  I just removed the Imirie shims from my hives, because the bees began building burr comb in the space, some a lot, some hardly any.  I think it was Mr. Harrison, who asked how that problem was avoided, and I responded that I had never had that problem, but that I always removed the shims in the early spring, once the snow melted.  Well, this year was an experiment to leave them on.  Besides the burr comb, I did not really like the top entrance - made it like O'Hare airport at rush hour with all the bees coming an going, while I tried to work the frames and not tick off/kill too many.  I prefer that the bees enter and leave from below.  Maybe they prefer the top entrance, but I did not ask.

I'll have to think about a soft inner cover as a way to solve the burr comb problem.  Might be another experiment.  Just need to come up with a good material.  As for the nucs, the Styrofoam lids are really snug and the manufacturer doesn't make a shim.  I've asked them to make them, as they would be helpful, and I am way too poor of a carpenter to make a wooden shim that would fit snugly top and bottom with rounded corners and that would not damage the plastic.

Bill
Claremont, NH, where it hit 88F/31C yesterday.  Gotta love global warming.