Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:55:41 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
> Please cite some examples, as
> I can't think of any unqualified success in
> this area. 

one that is worth looking at is the part of dee's operation that she lost last fall.  officially, it was considered ccd and samples were taken.

preliminary results showed nosema c in most of the crashed hives.  the thing is, this was 200 out of 300 she had in this area (which is flying distance from other beekeepers).  it isn't clear what other issues there may have been in these hives, or if nosema was a cause or an effect.

the 100 left were split into the old equipment, completely (or almost completely) making up the numbers.  the thing is...these splits were made into the deadout equipment (i was there for this in april...i probably have some video footage of these yards as well).

i would assume that bob is correct in that this deadout equipment has high spore counts...yet the splits took, and they are thriving and productive.

if we assume that there are high spore counts in the deadouts, either the hives in these yards that did not succumb last fall are resistant (in that it is hard to imagine they weren't exposed the same as the deadout hives), or their demise is imminent from the nosema c spores in the equipment.

how long should this take?  should they be dead by now if put in deadouts in mid april?  obviously, no acetic acid or other treatment was made to these deadouts.

deknow

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2