From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:15:01 -0500
About 4 years ago, I had 12 hives in an area to see if I could get a
Sourwood crop in that location.  There were plenty of trees. Less than a
week in to the flow,  We started getting severe thunder storms at about 3
day intervals for almost 3 weeks.  Needless to say, the Sourwood crop was
distroyed.  Several of the hives did however find another source of nectar
and made enough honey for me to harvest about 40 gallons.  I extracted a
few supers to see if I had salable honey.  It was smoky but was clear
enough to see through a pint jar.  When I tasted it, the flavor far
surpassed most clear honeys so I extracted the rest.  I took it to a
butcher shop that sells honey for me and left 2 cases.  It took 3 weeks for
those to sell but after that they had customers buying a case at time.
They sold all I had and had people asking for more.

Each year since then I have been asked when I'm going to get some more of
that dark honey.  Unfortunately I no longer have access to that location
and have so far been unable to find a suitable place for a beeyard in that
area.  The honey sold so fast that I didn't think to get tested so I don't
even know what plants to look for in another area.

So If you have dark honey, taste it.  If you like it, more than likely
someone else will.

Frank & Phronsie Humphrey