From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:01:35 -0500
On 23-Nov-17, at 12:12 PM, Rebekah Lee wrote:

> 1. The brood chamber is usually a single deep.

yes with 9 frames

> 2. A QE is always over the brood chamber.

yes

> 3. Shallows or mediums are rotated on/off during the flow; newest
> immediately over the deep.

mediums with the odd deep to draw foundation, but all top supered

> 4. Over wintering: nothing searchable in the archive. But it sounds
> like the deep with stores left overhead is sufficient.

deep only heavily fed in autumn,  honey supers are not left on the
hive for winter feeding because they contain no pollen(previously
above queen excluder & no openings in stack except main entrance at
bottom)

5. It sounds like those of you regularly using single deeps and using
some version of Walt Wrights discussion on the topic in Bee Culture.

Wright says:In short: the double deep comes in third (bronze) behind
all mediums (silver) and single deep and shallows (gold).  Seems to me
that he doesn't use singles as we do but a single deep with 2 shallows
for a brood chamber.

> http://beesource.com/point-of-view/walt-wright/

I struggled through as much of this stuff as I could so I am likely
not being fair to Wright, but wading through pages about beekeeping in
southern US is not interesting to me in the great white north

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W