From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2009 07:10:46 -0700
> Well, with Russian bees and no Fall flow, the same thing
> can happen....in August/September.
> Mike

Just to continue, not trying to pick a fight, but I simply find this fact finding of a cause fascinating.  I invite all to chime in here.   I am curious where the group here decides to place the ’cause’.  IMO, this fact finding mission is essential for future decision making.

Earlier you stated ‘the cause’ as a 1) ‘lack of fall flow‘.  And now you add an additional cause of another reason being that they were 2) ‘Russian bees‘, (Which by stating this as an undesirable characteristic of the Russians, is noting that Russians are NOT suited for this type of environmental stress of fall nectar dearth).

If I recall correctly, an earlier post stated other commercial colonies in New England OR near New England were heavy with stores and population and Kirks bees light.  Considering the two facts presented above,  this obvious discrepancy must be noted.  Beekeepers in the North Eastern states, as well as New England are well aware that fall flow can be finicky, and not always relied upon, and you need a bee that will not succumb to poor fall flows. This evidence is highly suggestive of Russian bees perhaps being ill suited for the environment in New England where fall flows can be finicky.

Best Wishes,
Joe