From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:00:00 -0800
At 05:43 PM 2/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>After reading the Bee Loss Survey article conducted by Penn. State U. on
>their state's bee colony losses for the 1995-1996 winter over season. I
>think it is very important ecologically to have a survey performed on a
>large a scale as possible.

Yes,  Cirtus, this would be nice but I am sure someone would point out that
these may be reports compiled by/from scientific types but the information
they are based on is antidotal from beekeepers and are fair game for
interpretation. What I personally see in this Penn State and other studies
is that base studies are lacking, beekeepers who do everything by the book
are still having levels of loss that can not be explained, and follow up
studies are not being done or when done are lost because the results may be
in conflict with the original study.

>As we all know bee pollination of plant-life is of paramount importance to
>human survival.

No I did not know this, but heard something similar from a European Bee
Scientist years ago except the word "honey"  was used in place of
"pollination", I did not believe it then but I have an open mind if you
have new information.  I can say for a fact that the arguments against
honeybees being of all that great value to at least mankind in the USA were
good enough in our Congress to have all beekeepers hands removed from the
Federal cookie jar and they centered on the fact that honeybees are not
native to the New World.

>But, unfortunately the general public, particularly city dwellers do not
>understand this, nor know of  the declines that have been occurring.  Our
>respective world-wide governments also are not Fully aware of this problem.
> This needs to be made a visible public issue before it is too late to take
>action.

Why not spend some time on promoting the beekeeping life style which is as
clean and honorable as any endeavor man is into which gives us the
byproducts Honey, Pollination, Study Subjects, and Healthy Out Door
Physical Recreation. The beekeeping problems we are having today are not
new and much of the information put out about todays problems are subject
to change the very next time conditions for keeping bees improves.

>I am certain that many of the increases in diseases, and parasites have
>been exacerbated by environmental pollution in general, as well as global
>transfer of non-indigenous parasites.  Globalization of transport has
>reached critical mass, and has little or no "Real" controls over
>indiscriminate spread of species.  I think the Varroa and tracheal mites
>are just the tip of the ice berg, and a 1st  WARNING of things to come.

All the above may be true and to some that may sound like the beginning of
the end, others look at it as another addition to their daily challenge.

>I have a great deal of database knowledge and experience. I also have
>experience in performing surveys and scientific study and analysis.  I
>would be interested in knowing if anyone else, individual, group,
>association, etc.  out there would be interested in collaborating on
>collecting information from as many geographical locations as possible on
>bee colony losses.

Get to work on it, all that good stuff is of little value if left unused.
Much public information is collected, enough for the CIA to make judgements
on beekeeping conditions in most countries that have large honeybee
populations. Again the problem associated with this kind of work is that
the information is mostly antidotal and in some cases both political and
antidotal so requires many years of compilation and comparison to get a
real handle on the facts and then beekeeping information can be boring to
the public who have their own set of problems other then the "killer" bees
are going to get them or honey is $3.00 a pound at the local Piggy Wigglee.

ttul, the OLd Drone
... Some bee had stung it newly.
www.beenet.com - nothing there I just like the colored print this mail
reader adds!

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!