From:
"Lars A. Lutton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 18:01:28 EDT
From:   NAME: Lars Lutton
        FUNC: Instructional Media Services
        TEL: (614)593-2669                    <LUTTON@A1@OUVAX>
To:     MX%"[log in to unmask]"@MRGATE@OUVAX

On the subject of swarms, here in SE Ohio, USA, I've seen as many this year
as in any the previous ten. They have all been uncharecteristically chest high
or lower, seem disinclined to move once gathered on the limb;some for up
to four days dispite not unpleasant weather, and 15 days earlier than any
years past. I had an extremely unusual occurrance from the wife of an old
beekeeper (now deceased), who remarked she recognized a swarm of "gentle
goldens" her husband had kept many years before, and wanted to be sure someone
got them "because she knew they was good bees". I hived them, only to have her
remark that well over 2/3rds had left, hours before. I left the colony for later
pick-up. She called the next day saying "you sure got a bunch of bees now
mister". When I asked her what she meant, she replied  "those that left swarmed
right back into that box with the otherns". Now, I've never heard or seen this
happen; with the exception having a trapped colony swarm into a trap box from a
building, but I have lived long enough not to find some wisdom in odd places.
Anyone had a similar situation? Regards, Lars/ [log in to unmask]