From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:38:23 -0500
Robert Mann writes:
According to my information, the antibiotic resistant gene
used in the creation of Round-up Ready crops was for resistance to
tetracycline.

Robert,
Ifyou have such information you should give it, and its source.

Resistance to antibiotics crops up evertwhere they are used, requiring a continual change in methods. Many examples of antiobiotics losing their effectiveness due to overuse can be given - in humans as well as animals.

I have observed beekeepers for over 25 years and I have seen them misuse chemicals time and time again. That AFB should begin to show resistance to tetracycline comes as no surprise to me, nor is mite resistance to Apistan surprising.

I don't think anyone is to blame but I suggest the cause of these problems is closer to home.

Peter Borst
Ithaca NY USA