Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:19:50 GMT+0200
Hi All/DB

others in our lab, require completely (or close to it) sterile
conditions for working with our micro-organisms. To get to this
degree of sterility we basically autoclave, and then once something
is out of the autoclave we keep it under UV-A for three or so hours
to kill anything on the outside that got there between the autoclave
and the sterile hood.

So - how do you autoclave an extractor. I recently went on tour to a
few commercial biotech industries here in SA and they used steam on
tap for sterilizing - basically get some form of steam generator and
pump as much of it into the extractor for as long as possible - the
105C or so temperatures should denature most spores. Bacillus spores
aare tough, so after steaming I would spray the whole interior with
a75+% ethanol, let it soak and then put a match to it. On a smooth
surface (such as glass and metal) this should kill most things. If it
is stainless steel you can probably safely flame it with a cup of
more of ethanol - this should raise the whole things temperature past
any spores limit. (Just check the bearings are not sealed with a
rubber liner.)

The bleach will also help - esp if you leave it in sun - this
encourages the formation of free radicals which will rip up any
spores.

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)