From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:16:01 -0600
Tim said:
 At the end of the day, the boss wants results, and the temptation to mix
chemicals becomes at times more than most humans in the industry can resist
with.

As a *small* orchard owner and also doing pollination I will add my input. I
am not an organic grower and only use a light chemical spray when my back is
against the wall.

Chemical mixes are the norm rather than the exception with the growers which
use chemicals. When they head out with a several 100 gallon tank to spray
several hundred acres of trees they want to make as few  spray rounds as
possible. Labor , fuel and time concerns are the main reasons. Some labels
say what the product can be mixed with and others do not as no research has
been done.

Many orchard owners  spray by the calendar and not by the need.

Spraying when trees are in bloom . Before trees have fully ended bloom and
when trees are in partial bloom while bees are in the area cause bee kills.
Not mowing the ground cover which in our area can be yellow with dandelions
and white with white Dutch clover before spraying causes bee kills.

The number one reason for bee kills in my opinion is the fact that most
orchard crews work  the day shift and simply do not want  to spray around
dusk and at night. Might miss their favorite TV program!

Crop dusters especially do not like to spray  at night. I admit unless a
moonlit night can be dangerous.

The above has killed more bees than chemical cocktails ever have in my
opinion. Trying to get a grower or crop duster to pay for dead bees is
tough and only happens in rare cases.

 The USDA  boll weevil eradication program in Texas & Missouri is one of the
biggest offenders. Even when *iron clad proof* exists that their crop
dusters killed hives they fight reimbursements for dead hives. Even when
they do pay the amount only covers the bees and not the lost income or
labor.

If the moderators do not see fit to run the post with the following I will
resubmit without the below but feel should be included.

I have talked to a couple of the dumbest people from the Boll weevil
eradication program I have ever met. They did not have a clue about the bee
kill/ THEIR HIRED CROP DUSTER  situation.
They wanted my advice. They admitted their hired crop duster had sprayed in
broad daylight with plants in bloom when bees were in plain sight  and the
beekeeper was not notified of the spraying. I advised to settle right away
and still they drag their feet causing the beekeepers to have consider
taking possible legal action.

Over and over in Missouri the USDA hired crop dusters are spraying cotton
fields  without notifying the beekeeper (required ) ,spraying in  the middle
of the day when cotton is in bloom and spraying over the top of  hives
sitting in plain site on the edge of the field.

The problem has cotton so bad that the beekeeper has quit putting hives on
cotton and has stacks and stacks of deadouts. The USDA had not paid for a
single hive last time I talked to the beekeepers in the "boot heel" of
Missouri!

I personally am astounded when I hear the program will not take care of dead
hives caused by their negligence. I can understand a cheap grower maybe
trying to avoid payment but I would expect the USDA to step up to the plate
and solve the problem and pay for their mistakes!
Perhaps a higher up the USDA food chain  might read the above and look into
the situation. Those "boot heel" beekeepers do not know I am standing up for
their problem on BEE-L . Can you help!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison