Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:39:54 +0100
Conrad Sigona wrote:

> > ........................................  This mineral oil will make the
> > mites sick, and
> > at the same time have no effect on the bees and they will carry on in
> > numbers and be stronger for it.  Idea.. more bees = more of a chance to
> > develope immunity.
>
> I believe that immunity doesn't apply to bees' reaction to tracheal or
> varroa mites. It would be sort of like people developing immunity to bullet
> holes.

Although it is probably quite a long shot I think that it is possible
that the bees could develop an immunity to the mites.  Quite a number of
trees produce toxins in their leaves if they are attacked by insects and
I beleive that your own body will produce a sort of insect repellant if
you refrain from washing.  I don't think that we should confine immunity
to the cellular level.

Harry
Scotland