From:
"R. C. Chapin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:52:52 -0500
Spring arrived here (NE Pennsylvania) this week.  Crocuses, dandelions, &
forsythia blooming,  willow & maple trees budding.  Surviving bees stopped
taking in pollen substitute from pan in yard & are getting their own with a
vengeance.  For the benefit of those who may also be trying the new "baggie
feeder" method recommended in the otherwise GREAT catalog of Brushy
Mountain Bee Farm: I tried the two gallon zip lock baggies in empty supers,
on top bars.  Maybe I cut the slits too large, but had hundreds of bees
drowned; not nice after losing so many this winter. The catalog says: "You
will love this method of feeding."  Wrong, but that's the way we learn.
Granted, the bees did take most of the syrup (some by standing on top of
sisters ;-).  If this method is to be used, Frank offers a good idea re.
placing bags on top of queen excluder; that would make them easier to
remove.  I'm going back to large inverted jars in empty supers for feeding;
that way they can be covered with insulation for those extra cold nights.
Brushy Mountain should be commended for otherwise excellent advice
throughout the catalog.

Richard C. Chapin