From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:09:57 -0700

> >Of course these hives were so strong there is no way the bees could all
> fit into one brood box, and nobody in his right mind would try to move a
> hive with a beard like those would have, so I am assuming that your singles
> are not too crowded

I'd be the last person to try to claim that I am in my right mind, but many
of the singles can barely be smoked into the boxes for loading, and then
immediately have huge beards.  Sometimes we add the supers of foundation
immediately.  Other times, as soon as we get them off the truck.

It appears to me that bees must "learn" alfalfa blooms, and that the process
takes a few days, but I could easily be in error.  I only notice the delay
specifically in alfalfa.

A bait comb definitely helps, but I get straighter combs overall if I don't
use one, plus the foundation comb placed in the bottom box is often poorly
drawn.  Juanse's bridge comb idea is interesting!

Randy Oliver