From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 07:44:18 -0500
On 18-Feb-14, at 8:48 AM, Peter L Borst wrote:

>   It may be that they, and flies, will do this, but it may be only
> briefly, in preparation for landing on a surface like a ceiling
> (underside of a flower petal?).

Hi Peter and All

Early in my 30 year career with Ontario Hydro,  a couple of workmates
and I found ourselves at loose ends one day.  We were talking,
drinking coffee and watching several flies buzzing around the
ceiling.  The question became: How do flies land on the ceiling?
While flying near the ceiling, the fly's wings are up, but on
landing, the wings are down.  Now with several engineering types
observing, the answer was: The fly reaches over its head with its
front legs, catches hold of the ceiling, flips over, ends up facing
the opposite direction to it's flight before flipping.  The fly
doesn't fly upside down.  Isn't it amazing how young guys can solve
the world's problem's while goofing off.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W