From:
Francis Ratnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 23:32:43 +0000
I have successfully kept bees in the small suburban gardens of the two
previous houses that I lived in (in California) without annoying the
neighbors. It all depends on how the neighbors feel about bees, if they
know you have them, and your skill at keeping the bees in a way that
prevents any annoyance. However, I have had problems keeping bees at work
because of complaints from colleagues even though I worked at a university
studying bees and my colleagues were scientists. Based upon these
experiences I have concluded that one person who does not like bees for any
reason and has the least objection (risk of stinging; yellow faeces on
their car or building) will be able to prevent you from keeping bees. The
best chance with your neighbors is to explain to them that you would like
to keep bees, will keep them in a special "neighbor friendly" and safe way,
but will remove them if they cause any problem. In this way they may give
you the benefit of the doubt initially. To minimize, and hopefully
eliminate, any problems with the bees follow the following guideines: keep
only very gentle bees; don't let them swarm; don't keep too many hives;
inspect them only when weather conditions are good; don't allow robbing to
occur; surround the apiary with a tall lattice fence or hedge so that the
bees fly at 8ft or more above ground when passing over gardens; if the bees
start collecting water from taps, pools, hoses etc. give them a feeder of
water inside the hive. One problem that you cannot avoid is the yellow
faeces which will rain down on all around. This is paricularly a problem in
arid areas without frequent rain to wash things clean. If you are a new
beekeeper I suggest that you do not keep bees at home for at least a few
years so that you can gain more experience managing colonies. It may be
possible to get on the neighbor's good side by explaining that bees provide
ollination and by giving out jars of honey. If you want to keep bees at
home very much and plan on staying at that house for a long time then you
should move very slowly, taking all precautions and assuaging the neighbors
fears before you begin. You will have the highest chance of being
successful if the gardens are rather large and have tall hedges or fences
along the borders.

Dr. Francis L. W. Ratnieks
Department of Animal & Plant Sciences
University of Sheffield