From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:28:50 +0200
Peter B : Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM

>> In my region there are a lot of apple orchards. The usual practice among
large scale beekeepers here is to pollinate apples for a fee.* After the
petal drop*, they move to summer locations, away from the apples. A
beekeeper that kept bees by an orchard knowing that spraying was going to be
done, would be a knucklehead.

Peter

How should this statement be interpreted?

"After the petal drop"

Does it mean  A.- when all flower have bloomed and the petal of the last
flower is dropping or B.- the petals of most flower start droping but there
are still flowers to bloom?

Does this apply to the main variety or also for the "male" pollen givers
(polinizante)?

As for 2007 I had 320 hives pollinating blueberries at Angol-Chile. The
blueberry field is surrounded by apple fields. One of those farms sprayed
Carbaryl without giving notice to me or the other beekeeper not pollinating
his field.

You can imagine the mess in the neighbourhood!!!

The point here more than giving notice to the beekeepers is how to share the
territory. The blueberries need some 20 more days of pollination and the
apples need 3 sprays separated by 4 days for thinning. That means for the
blueberry grower to loose 12 days of pollination. For many other property
owner means loosing pollination power for their production.

In this case I think the problem is how come anyone can register and
insecticide as a Bloom thinning. What are the proofs that it actually
"ralea" rather than kill all the pollinator, thus stoping the process of
fecundation?. For me is an eufemism, is an environmental crime!!!.

I am more with the approach of Dave Green (BTW wellcome!):

No, it is the farmer that kills bees that is a knucklehead.

But will add, also the Ag company that register those products under
eufemistics approach are knucklehead (eventough that word have more than 4
letters ;)

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.