From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:42:21 -0400
A few days ago someone said their pure SMR queen was superceded only a
short time after he received them. I got two a month ago, and I noticed
today the one either left or was killed about 5 days ago, judging by the
age of the brood. The other one is still laying, but there are huge numbers
of queen cells being formed. The brood pattern for both hives was about as
bad as can be imagened for a new queen (or even an old one) and I STILL
wonder if it's just the brood viability that causes superceding, or is it
something else in the queen make-up that is the problem. Because if it is,
then likely the daughter will have it too whether or not her brood pattern
is good.

It seems many of you are doing well grafting from pure SMR bees, but for
anyone who is planning on it, perhaps you should consider lots at one time,
as you may only have your breeding stock for a short period of time.