From:
Don Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 23:49:52 -0700
>it. Being that the hive body is or should be 7/8" in thickness I set the
>Dado's to 5/8" in depth.  With the saw running I slowly lower the panel
>over the dado within the jig untill flat with the table top.  Then I lift
>it off and all's done.  Some of the oldtimers will say that this is not a

This is known as a plunge cut and is extremly dangerous on a table saw.
This is because the cutting action of the tool is back towards the operator.
Make a jig that holds the bottom edge of the board such that it cannot be
thrown toward the operator.  Also be sure that as you lower the board that
if it does catch, it will not drag fingers into the blade.  You cannot
depend on reaction time, the jig must do the protecting.

    Don Bowen                      [log in to unmask]
    Valley Center, CA              Senior Software Engineer
    Bee Point acres                Smith Automation Systems, inc
    USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 21    [log in to unmask]
    33 16' 04 N  116 59' 19 W

    organic gardener, woodworker, beekeeper, reader
    1936 Farmall 12         1966 Corvair Corsa 140 Convertible
    1 wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 acres, no TV