From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:08:39 +0100
Hi Peter

> Various computer programs will indicate with varying degrees of
> usefulness raw data material.
> Once this has been collected, the problems arise for the average
> individual (or more correctly - for me!).

This is where working as a group is helpful, some in a group are better
at statistics than others, some are happy to do the wing scanning, so a
natural division of labour occurs, with each suited to the task in hand.

> What has to be done to translate the figures into a form that allows
> conclusions to be drawn.

That depends on what bees you are dealing with and what particular
characteristics you are trying to discriminate... An easy example is the
scattergram...
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/scattergram.html
This allows two dimensional plotting of CI & DS giving a spacial spread
of data, that in turn makes visual recognition by humans, much easier
(this tool is mostly of use in discrimination between AMM and other types).

> It's the maths!
> What do I really need to know?

I did allude to the fact that some of the data analysis is tedious, but
you have to use a method that is suited to the task in hand (generally
this varies which variables are being compared). I thought that the
modern versions all had their own built-in calculating ability.

The morphometry is only used as a confirmation. morphometry on it's own
will give you a set of measuring tools and methods of analysis. You
apply this measurement to colonies that you have selected from the
intensive data that has been kept on each colony, in order that you can
say I have a colony with XYZ characteristics that also lies within the
racial type of the bee we wish to propagate.

When you have done this with a large number of promising colonies, you
will be in a position to make choices about further steps in the
breeding program.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)