From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:59:09 -0400
Hello,

I just had a bee call on this.  A farmer had cut an
ash tree, dead from ash bore, and noticed hundreds
of honeybees digging all thru the dust.

My answer to him was that in the early spring, bees
are in want of pollen for protein, and will often be
found on coffee grounds, fresh cut tree dust, bird
feeders, chicken mash etc.

Bees are rarely found visiting coffee grounds
etc. as the early bloom progresses, therefore,
I do not believe they are selectively seeking
caffeine or any other compound held within,
they are simply finding the next best
substitute for pollen.

I believe the reason for the over eagerness
and frenzy of activity in the early spring for
coffee grounds and other odorous pollen-like
substances,  is because the lack of competing
odorous sources at this time of year perhaps,
serves to amply the effectiveness of dances
recruiting many more foragers.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggel
Historical Honeybee Articles on FB