From:
Rory Stenerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:01:52 -0400
Greetings All,

I'm new to beekeeping and have a couple of questions I would gratefull for
any advice.
Super Storage-
I've just started with two hives from two five frame nucs (Carniolans) and
I recently  purchased and assembled ten shallow supers and four more deeps
(using crimp-wired foundation.)  I've got them all painted and stacked up
in my garage right now, should I be concerned with wax moth infestation?  I
know I should if they were drawn combs, but how about with new foundation?

Queen Exclusion-
Since I don't have any drawn comb supers, should I put in ten in the supers
instead of nine?  Also, I've been advised that the bees will not come up to
work a super with just foundation (which all that I have right now) through
a queen excluder.  What's the best way of preventing the queen from coming
up and laying in newly drawn comb in my new shallow supers?  Presently, I'm
using two deeps and there's brood in both levels.

Thanx everyone in advance for your advice,

Rory Stenerson,
Member, Centre County Beekeepers Association,
V.P., State College Underground Maltsters,
State College, PA U.S.A.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]