From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:39:29 -1000
>Dear N Z BEE-L folks
>      Boy what a distraction all of your crying caused and all I did was
ask questions about the ability to eradicate AFB .Now back to the issues.
Nick in your reply April 8th. you
>referred that you would be happy to supply some facts. I would like some
more details and numbers as you have volunteered.  As you stated samples
must be significant to be
>meaningful. Please provide the numbers of your numerical exercises.
>  How many test and what types of test were done last year for V & T
mites.Please explain percentages to the total number of hives, also explain
who gathers these samples and
>how they are paid. In 1991 your government stopped the funding for your
honeybee disease programme. Please explain hoe you fund your surveillance
programs and how is MAF
>paid.Also maybe you could share what is required of your shippers to
certify against mites for shipments to Canada.
>        Regarding D Anderson and CSIRO could you please research and advise
where CSIRO gets funded and how Anderson is paid. I am not questioning his
integrity and just
>want to clearly understand who he works for and how he gets paid.
>      Roger Rice suggested that the bee regulations are mandatory laws.
Please confirm if these are  laws or if voluntary compliance is sought. Do
the requirements apply to anyone
>who keeps bees hobbyist and all ? In your1995 industry profile you say your
target is 10 % what was the actual percentage of hives tested ?
>       Under disease surveillance your publication says over 500 apiaries
out of 25,124 apiariesare inspected . Please explain the inspection. Are
mites tested for ?and then your
>publication states that additionally 500 more samples are provided by live
bee exporters . Are these samples gathered by the beekeeper or a state
employee.And are mites looked
>for.
>        Please provide a complete and comprehensive list of honeybee pests
and diseases found on N Z bees.
>         In your most recent post you said that N Z is free of EFB , please
give the details on the testing methodology used to develop this claim. How
many test , type of test, recent
>and on going test etc.  Is it the goal  of the N Z pest management strategy
to eradicate AFB in N Z bees ? Can you give details as to any honeybee
disease or pest ever being
>eradicated after being introduced any where on earth.
>       I feel that your borders are effectively closed to honey imports
with the red tape required to bring in a bottle of honey. I really hate to
disappoint N Z tourist in Hawaii when I
>have to tell them they can not take a one pound jar of Hawaiian honey back
home to N Z .    Do you feel that N Z bees with the viruses  present any
danger to the Americas
>honeybee with mites ?
>      Hawaii is in the process of developing a strategy for testing our
bees. Could you offer any suggestions as to what type of testing protocol we
should follow so that our findings
>will have meaning. What test should be done , what percentages of hives
should be tested? Who can do what test and what are the cost of testing?
>       Will you allow Hawaii queen bees into N Z if Hawaii bees test out to
be acceptable ?
>What would be acceptable ?
>      I just got your most recent posting . I have a copy  of the strategy
and my biggest concern is that you are trying to make bee inspectors out of
Hobbyist bee keepers and then
>expecting them to objectively inspect each other.It is impressive as it
will continue to keep N Z beekeepers protected from foreign honey imports.
>     Well I have to sign off for now 1:30 am   Looking forward to your reply
>              Walter

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm