From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:24:09 -0500
Both patents 1,854,871  and 5,741,170  appear to have entrances cut into the
wall of the hive (a solid surface), although both are large and covered with
screens (it appears).  At least one other patent (4,981,458 ) shows
permanent slits in the bottom board (added using strips, not cutouts in
solid wood).  Not exactly the same (none claim that the entrance area is in
the hive stand), but similar enough to possibly argue abviousness.  I
thought I saw something exactly like his slots in a  hive stand in an
earlier search, but did not locate it in a quick search today.