From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 13:13:30 -0500
>>My question (humbly submitted) here to Charles is what kind of comb are you using to rear these queens? Basically is it new, relatively new or very aged comb? Long ago I made a remark about the area dripping in ag chemicals and I had the idea at the time Charles thought I was talking about neonic (which only bother me a little and impacts my own bees not in the least) but in terms of the area would place fungicides, emulsifiers and surfactants at the top of my own list as problems for honeybees.

Whatever hits!   No special selection criteria for comb.  In each queen yard is 25 deep bodies split into 4 sections each holding 2 deep frames.   Off to the side is 25/30 strong singles.  These were doubles,  but when I stock the yard intialy I decimate the top box.  Each "slot gets at frame of brood,  and some open comb with food.

I don’t do any special comb selection,  just all comes from other hives and us mostly 2/3 year old brood comb. You could say its "pre checked" by strong hives,  as no weak hives are used to select from.

Charles