From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:42:55 -0400
I think that Bob Harrison offered a more reasonable
assessment of online discussion groups than Aaron, but
I can't fully agree with either:

>> ...the internet is similar to the halls of a bee meeting.
>> Things can be said which are not allowed in print as they
>> can not be *proven*.

Just about anything is "allowed in print". I am living proof
of just how much one can "get away with". The difference
between online and "in print" has more to do with developing
a well-reasoned and insightful message that attempts to address
more than one possible point of view, rather than expressing a
single (personal) point of view.

>> Exactly like a discussion before or after a bee meeting or
>> in the halls of a national meeting.

This is a very fair assessment.  Its an ongoing discussion.

Aaron discussed several points, each intended to introduce into
the discussion the view there is "more than a discussion" going on.

> Discussions on BEE-L serve as the seed for articles in
> the trade magazines.

The appearance of discussions on the various online discussion
groups, Bee-L included, tend to lag publication of articles,
not the other way around.  Yes, there have been many items that
have appeared online before appearing in the trade press, but
this correlation does not imply causality.  The minimum lead-time
for a magazine is about a month.  There is no lead-time online.
You push "send", and others can read what you sent within minutes.

> The editors of the major US beekeeping magazines subscribe.

Yes, they scour the internet hoping to find beekeepers who can write.
(While this is akin to searching the bars at 2am in hopes of finding
a tea-totaler, they persist in looking.)

> BEE-L is also a source for local newsletter articles.

Very true.  Local newsletter editors have a problem getting
people to both commit to writing, and to deliver articles on time.

> BEE-L is not a closed environment, it is open and far reaching.

It reaches around 800 people right now.  The Tri-County (Ohio)
February meeting has more attendees every year than Bee-L has members.
I agree with "far-reaching", but the internet is merely far-reaching
in terms of physical locations, rather than cultures or socio-economic
groups.  For example, the Tri-County meeting attracts a significant
number of Amish beekeepers, not an easy group to "reach" online. :)

The minimum ante required to "be on the internet" implies that many
beekeepers are not able to take part, or not interested in taking part.
Certainly the "3rd World" is mostly excluded.  We tend to have these
discussions with people "mostly like us", regardless of location.

> things that are said ARE in print

No, they are merely on a disc drive somewhere.  That is not "in print"
at all, as "in print" requires someone to agree to invest actual money
to publish it, and send it out to people who pay hard-earned money for
each issue of the publication.