Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:52:11 -0400
a friend writes

this whole Bee-L discussion on Carnie, Italian, or mixed is making me crazy. I don’t understand where people think these pure lines are coming from. People talk about Carnies and Italians as if they were a real thing, but out in the field, anyone can see that people are selling bees based on color alone. Anyone who thinks these bees are different is living with his head in the sand.

They keep talking about the “big breeders” but only a small percentage of colonies come from those sources, and I doubt most of them are maintaining pure lines either. They sell want the customer wants, and the customer wants yellow bees or black bees that they associate with things that no longer exist.

And whatever happened to “informed discussion?” People are writing all this nonsense with nothing to back them up. People see what they want to see and report it as fact. I can read BeeSource, if BS is what I want to read.

PLB