From:
Dave Burrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:14:46 -0600
>Lets compare (honestly now) what each person has done today.
I have returned from working a yard of 65 hives. We checked for brood &
disease (not varroa) and stacked deadouts for a pickup tomorrow and marked<

Bob you sound like my last boss.  All he cared about was speed, big numbers,
and bragging rights.  He had to have more plots, more lines, more off
station locations, and be able to take more notes faster than anybody else.
The data that he produced was not good for anything but an emergency in the
outhouse.
Commercial beekeeping is tough.  I doubt anybody would question that you
commercial guys work hard.  What I question is the generality that if we do
not open thousands of hives a year we do not know what we are doing.
For my wife and I beekeeping is fun.  We have the time  to go through the
hives top to bottom.  We have time to try new and different things.  We find
problems at an earlier stage than somebody that works 65 hives in two hours.
Bob there is no way you are going to convince me that you found all of the
problems in those hives.
Generallities are never accuate.  There are exceptions in everything.
Dave