From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:56:48 -0700

> Bob said:  the main problem was the old equipment.

Bob, I very much appreciate your keen observations, and find them to be
greatly useful!

I noticed something last season when I performed "shake and bake" for AFB
colonies.  Sick colonies shaken two to one onto new foundation just took off
like a fresh swarm and outproduced established colonies in the same yards,
despite the established colonies having a full broodnest, and plenty of
honey.

The same phenomenon occurred in my HSC trial.  All colonies started late in
our season on foundation or HSC combs, yet built up great for winter.

These observations are really making me look into the value of fresh combs
(and my combs shouldn't have any pesticide nor miticide residues).

Randy Oliver