From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:36:13 -0400
> This is why we need to take a stand against
> using antibiotics in the absence of a clear need for them.

> This unconditional crusade against antibiotics seems to be the sole basis
> for the entire discussion, now spanning several threads.

This is hardly an unconditional crusade against antibiotics, which would be pointless and foolish. The statement above contains the condition: absence of clear need. The very basis of this position is to retain the potency of these valuable tools so that they will work when they are needed.

This is not some off-the-wall position but one embraced by the veterinary and medical community. Antibiotics that are crucial in human medicine should not be used in livestock. Antibiotics should not be used except where needed to control actual disease, not merely as stimulants to boost production.

Note that most of the studies on the efficacy of antibiotics in bees are based on the increase in honey production, or bee production. Not the long term health of the organism. This is no different than justifying the use of growth hormones in cows based solely on the increase milk production.

PLB