Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:43:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Since pollen, honey, propolis are used for allergies and in apitherapy, then it's other man made stuff put into hives causing problems, though many will not admit to in the way of treatments and artificial feeds, that beekeepers come into contact with and get on themselves handling.

You seem to suggest that nobody could have an allergy to pollen, bee venom, etc. because these are used in apitherapy. This is of course, false. Allergies to pollen are one of the most common types. It is true that people can become allergic to manmade chemicals as well, but that is beside the point.

I have had "hay fever" or pollen allergy my entire life, as did my father. It is triggered primarily by tree pollen in the spring and if untreated, it goes from stuffy nose, itchy eyes, to severe sinus infection. I must take antihistamines seasonally or I end up with a potentially dangerous infection. 

Also, I have been a beekeeper since the early 1970s. I have noted that I can handle bees, combs, and pollen with my hands, without any problem, but if I breathe or eat pollen I have an instant allergic reaction. This has never gotten any worse or any better over the years. 

SO, each person has his or her own allergies and the way in which these are initiated varies as well. Many people will never be allergic, others will develop severe allergies to things that many of us use daily, like latex gloves. 

Whether it is wise to avoid allergens as much as possible, or allow oneself to be exposed to them regularly in order to develop "tolerance" is for me an open question.  It appears to work differently for each individual. 

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2