From:
Albert W Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 09:15:57 EDT
On Fri, 2 May 1997 00:04:48 EDT John M Thorp
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Another thing worth consideration,bully platforms are'nt
>worth being on this or any other list,lets try to be positive and
>reflect the goodness I've seen in most(not all)Beekeepers for over
>more than 40 years. Remember we are all either part of the solution or
>part of the problem by how we respond or react,the "choice"is ours.
>Whenever saying stuff like this its directed right back at myself.
>Sorry if anyone's feelings have been hurt.

While I do not wish to add the small storm I raised, it has been
suggested that
I apologize to the List.

I do apologize for "the manner" in which I expressed my "personal
feelings"
to those who have felt outraged about this "manner".

You are absolutely correct that I should not have engaged in a "bully
type" message and that I should have employed a different "positive
approach".

I can only say that a major failing of my personality is that when I feel
personally outraged over some issue, I do not take the time to let
that outrage simmer and  to turn it around to a "positive approach".

I did not expect "everyone to make a contribution". Personally
I felt the level of contributions to be a very poor reflection on
all of us as a group. I did not think that David Eyre's suggestion
to make a $5.00 contribution to be an unreasonable or outrageous
suggestion. As I have said, it only amounts to the equivalent of
a couple of jars of honey to assist a fellow beekeeper and to
encourage a younger person with a family to "not give up". Putting
some money where our mouth is certainly was not going to make
up for his $20,000 loss.

I felt that a degree of monetary support would only encourage
this young man to "stick with it and hang in there". Judging by
the Thank You Note I received from Gary's wife, they are "hanging
in there"

What is even more important about this type of tangible support
is that I am sure that Gary & family will, throughout their lifetime
in Beekeeping, pay all of us back by doing their best for others
in Beekeeping in the years to come!

In the past there have been expressions of serious concern
about the "shortage of young people" taking up Beekeeping.
Here was an opportunity to do something about that!

For those of you who hurled brickbats in return,
I hold no ill will. I asked for it, and I can handle it.

What amazes me is the level of support expressed publically
on this List and in private e-mail messages.

You might also be surprised at the level of support in words
and deed amongst some folks who have joined this List since
Dave Green posted his original message about Gary's misfortune.

I was prepared to handle the entire List expressing their outrage!

I feel very strongly that we share a common bond insofar as
Beekeeping goes. I may not personally like some of you, but
that is immaterial to my willingness to help where I can and to
encourage folks to "hang in there" or to "give Beekeeping a
shot" !

Al,

Al Needham--Scituate,MA,[log in to unmask]
Author Of "The HoneyBee"--An Educational Program
Check Out " The Amazing BeeCam " At:
http://www.xensei.com/users/alwine/