From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:19:56 -0400
Waldemar wrote:

> [...]
necessarily an indicator of poor beekeeping practices.<<<<<
Thanks for that. I don't consider that my few hives could prove anything one
way or the other.

>>>Is there anything in your management that you can attribute this loss
to? <<<
Yes lots. I've been stubbornly trying to keep bees with minimal treatments.
I settled on fuming O/A. No fumigillin, no menthol. I did well last
year(05). I harvested 500 or so pounds by July 06.

analogous with the ones from your other yard?<<<
No. One hive was weak. The other should have been OK. There were dead bees
in these hives. Winter was tough. Up here this is unremarkable.

from late asters and saw quite a bit of crystalized stores. ...the bees did
not starve.<<<<<
I saw crystallized honey. Also I saw a lot of open honey. More open cells
than they had in the fall. Did they open them and not use them?

Can you elaborate on:

1. The strength & age of the clustering bees in the colonies last
October
I was unhappy with them. They wouldn't take feed. I can't honestly say I
know the age of the fall bees.

>>2. The amount and quality of stored honey and pollen<<
I was unsure if they had enough stores (I always am). It was a bad fall with
no real honey flow from July on.

>>3. Cleansing flight frequency (I am south of you)<<
Winter was kind until late Jan but there was a clampdown of a month or so.
No dysentery spotting.

>>4. Were the lost bees in the hives or did they disappear altogether.<<
In Nov/Dec I found empty hives (Practically) with a queen and very few bees.
The one that is left now has very few bees. In other hives bees died in one
small cluster. It looked like they cold-starved. Now I'm wondering if they
couldn't move to stores for other reasons. Nobody was out of stores.

Let me repeat. I think this may be mite damage that the later treatments
were too late to cure or tracheal mites. I'll test the last bees and let you
know.

Dick Marron