From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:42:47 -0500
As the video says Stratiolaelaps scimitus were called "Hypoaspis Miles", not
sure why the name change, but using the old name may find one more info, as
the older name is what I ordered.

It is a very common bio-control product for greenhouses, I bought these to
control mites from the same firm that sold me nematodes. The shipping (Fed-X
required) cost more than the canister of peat moss in which the mites were
delivered, and they did not survive even a Virginia winter in a greenhouse
warm enough for year-round citrus trees and a vanilla vine.  But they did
the job in greenhouse applications.

Here are two videos claiming success in beehives:

http://www.niagarabeeway.com/bio-control-for-varroa-mite.html
http://www.niagarabeeway.com/july-9-2013-update-on-the-varroa-mite.html

They also claim that the Stratiolaelaps scimitus were "breeding in the
hive", something unexpected for a soil-dwelling creature.

The problems and downsides with this are the same as with all
"bio-controls".  These are fragile living creatures, so they are a pain to
ship, they have a shelf-life approaching zero, and they may have to be
re-applied several times to be effective. They are also sold by companies
that have an annoying habit of going bust and closing without notice.  I am
talking about their well-researched greenhouse use here, not about the more
speculative beehive use.

Might a mite be mightier than Varroa mite?
Could bee.

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
And so proceeds Ad infinitum."

-- Jonathan Swift