From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:50:14 -0500
At 1/29/02 01:27 PM, you wrote:
>This also appears to be at least somewhat the case with honey bees from africa and europe.  The hybrid offspring may appear to be fertile but their offspring don't survive so what is the practical difference?  If the honey bees from southern africa are a different species how they interact with honey bees from europe will be different than if they are a race or strain of the same species.  The practical management of the insects will be somewhat different as well.

Blane,
Now I confess to being thoroughly confused. Didn't Warwick Kerr cross European bees and African bees, and didn't the progeny populate most of South and Central America? Or are you talking about the Cape Bees only? I can see that they might be a separate species, with strange habits unfamiliar to all other strains of Apis mellifera. But I  am no taxonomist (wouldn't want to be).